Unfortunately, identity theft is a fact of modern life. However, everyday we take steps to protect those things that are important to us. Often, we do it without even thinking. Keeping tabs of your personal information is no different. Take time to do the following:
1. Read copies of your credit card statements every month. Make sure that you authorized each purchase.
2. Know the payment due date of your bills and make sure that the bills are being paid in a timely manner.
3. Read all statements coming from medical suppliers. Medical Identity Theft is on the rise.
4. Shred all paperwork that contains private information such as your full name, social security number, date of birth, etc.
5. Review our credit report with each of the three credit reporting agencies at least once a year.
If you do find yourself a victim of identity theft, you should immediately place a fraud alert on your accounts and file a claim with the Federal Trade Commission. For additional information, please go to www.ftc.gov/idtheft